Friday, November 21, 2008

Sex in Beyonce's "Single Ladies (Put a ring on it)"

Just recently, when ripping the net of strong-black-woman music, I ran into Beyonce's new song, "Single Ladies (Put a ring on it!)".

The second breakout crank on her third solo Album, the song was just the magic I needed to remind me that I am always in control of my wants, desires, and my goals. And I can’t hang on to people who aren’t about building a bold new world with me.

Most refreshing, Beyonce toughened me up about men and my frustration with feeling so hungry for marriage --and primarily because living in Delhi makes me crave something stable and consistent. But she helped me reassert the ‘it!’-ness that I have!

So on the dot, I sent the video to some friends. Very shockingly, hardly anyone agreed with my reading of Beyonce as an ultra-feminist! Beyonce didn’t just spark a hot dance that I’m aggressively trying to learn, but she's started a real talk about women, marriage, and today.

You gotta see this video. It's ground breaking. And below, read some of friend's analysis.



Robert said: "Completely post-feminist. If Mariah Carey did that song, it would be more showy and if Christina Aguilera did it, it would be mournful. With Beyonce, it's matter-of-fact and dismissive."

Bukola said: "I fail to see how this is about female empowerment or feminism. At the end of the day Beyonce has to shake her ass at the camera to get attention. How is that post-feminist? The word you're looking for is faux-feminism."

Brie said: "At first I was surprised by some of the dance moves, then I remembered, this is Beyonce and she did coin the term 'bootylicous.'"

I said: "We all end up shaking our ass for some attention. It may not be as graphic as Beyonce, but in private or in public, we strut our stuff, and we ride so much of our confidence on our quality of booty shaking. I think she's making the reality plain. As much as the ring is a metaphor for the love she wants--Her booty is a metaphor for the love she has to give!”

No comments: