Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Sex in Obam-ica to India to God

It was Wednesday morning in Mumbai when I nearly jumped out of my drawers to celebrate the news of America's new president Barack Obama.

Being far from home, from St. Louis and New York and being a part of Obama's monumental win was so aching, and still very beautiful.

The people I work with in India are remarkably sensitive to my home-lust and to the importance of my being black and electing the first-world's first black American.

And many of them shared their excitement with me, the best they could. One cook in the Mumbai guest house grabbed me with his great smile and said: "Big history made today!"

As much as that history was Obama's, that history was also mine and his -- and our undeclared campaign to relate to each other.

Lucky for the world, Obama and every day people coming together, and not McDonalds, is our generation's best example of a globalized earth that despite the reality of social divisions, desires deeply to celebrate life and understanding.

Most thrilling, the crazed election celebrations are turning Obama into a God.

Working up a new calling, Obama inspires us to re-envision a human religion based on the ethical pursuit of excellence and goodness.

This can happen. It has already.

Oooobamen!

--Malena

No comments: